16-23 August 2020
BUDAPEST – Zeneház (House of Music) seat of Concerto Budapest Orchestra
Masterclass in Composition and Conducting (Professors: Sidney Corbett, Alessio Elia, Andreas Luca Beraldo)
SHE LIVES Conducting course and laboratory for contemporary music
Prof. Andreas Luca Beraldo
She Lives is an Italian musical association leader in the promotion of modern and contemporary music. We had the privilege to work with some of the most important institutions and artists in the international panorama: Solisti della Scala di Milano, Roma Opera House, Accademia Chigiana, Filarmonica Romana, Fondazione Scelsi, Royal Embassy of Norway, Swiss Institute in Rome, Warner Classics, Naxos and great artists such as Peter Eötvös and Lasse Thoresen.
This year we are happy to announce our first conducting course held by Andreas Luca Beraldo in connection with the already established Budapest Master Class in Composition run by composers Sidney Corbett and Alessio Elia. A further partner is the Composition Competition of the Ensemble Impronta, in its second edition.
The aim of the course is to face important subjects of the contemporary repertoire both theoretically and practically, in order to solve conducting problems with the aim of developing strategies for the autonomous preparation of the repertoire. Another very important aspect of the course is the close cooperation with the participants of the composition master class in order to encourage the exchange of ideas keeping in mind both the point of view of the interpreter and that of the composer.
Professor: Andreas Luca Beraldo
Place: Zeneház (House of Music), seat of the Concerto Budapest Orchestra
Ensemble in Residence: Camerata Pelsonore – String Orchestra (22.214.171.124.2)
Concert 1: 19.08.2020 in Zeneház (House of Music)
Concert 2: 23.08.2020 in Zeneház (House of Music)
- Alfred Schnittke, Concerto for piano and strings (Edition Sikorski)
- Alessio Elia, I confini del cielo (will be sent after registration)
- Sidney Corbett, piece for string orchestra
- 3 winning works of the 2nd composition competition of the Ensemble Impronta 2020
The aim of this concert and of the rehearsal time is to efficiently prepare the student for a significant repertoire. The works will be assigned to the participants by the teacher individually.
The second concerts consists of the pieces written by the participants to the composition master class. Those pieces will be provided to the conducting course students via e-mail after the registration deadline. The aim of this concert and of the rehearsal time is a close collaboration with the composers. The pieces will be assigned to the students individually by the teacher.
In the first day of the course participants and the teacher will select other pieces to be studied theoretically.The pieces available to be discussed are: Stockhausen Zeitmaße, Schönberg Pierrot Lunaire, Stravinsky Histoire du Soldat.
Courses and work schedule
- 16.08: Theoretical development and preparation of the works for the 1st concert
- 17.08: Rehearsals with the orchestra / at the end of the day evaluation of the rehearsal work and study of the additional work (Zeitmaße, Pierrot or Histoire)
- 18.08: Rehearsals with the orchestra / at the end of the day evaluation of the rehearsal work and study of the additional work (Zeitmaße, Pierrot or Histoire)
- 19.08: dress rehearsal in the morning / concert 1 in the evening
- 20.08: joint course day with the composers / assignment of works for the 2nd concert
- 21.08: Rehearsals with the orchestra / at the end of the day evaluation of the rehearsal work and study of the additional work (Zeitmaße, Pierrot or Histoire)
- 22.08: Rehearsals with the orchestra / at the end of the day evaluation of the rehearsal work and study of the additional work (Zeitmaße, Pierrot or Histoire)
- 23.08: dress rehearsal in the morning / concert 2 in the evening
Every active participant is entitled to 1h of private lesson. This will be coordinated and scheduled individually. The rest of the lessons are group lessons. Participants are invited to prepare all the works that are the study subject of the course.
Active and passive participation
Active participants will conduct the orchestra in both rehearsal periods and are entitled to have individual lessons. Participants are invited to prepare all the works that are the study subject of the course. The teacher has the right to not include students in the final concerts of the course if the level of preparation is not sufficient.
Passive participants are entitled to be present at all rehearsals and group lessons as well as at meetings and joint seminars with the composition class. However, they will not have the opportunity to conduct the orchestra or receive individual lessons.
The general course language is English.
Other languages possible are German, Spanish, Italian and French.
Registration and costs
For active participation:
Registrations must be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following documents attached:
- curriculum vitae
- Copy of identity card or passport
- link to a video in which the candidate shows his / her best skills in conducting. The participant should be visible from the front, the repertoire can be of any choice, but should reflect the conducting abilities of the candidate)
- receipt of payment of 100 EUR for the selection process (non refundable)
The course is limited to 6 active participants.
Through the evaluation of the videos, candidates will be assigned to the courses or as active or passive participants (announcement of the selection will be on 15.06.2020)
The remaining fee (450 EUR for active participants or 100 EUR for passive participants) must be corresponded no later than 22.06.2020 to the Bank account written below.
For passive participation:
People who wish to apply directly as Passive participant can register until 15.08.2020. In order to apply send an e-mail to email@example.com with receipt of payment of 200 EUR and a copy of your identity card or passport.
Bank transfer to:
Associazione SHE LIVES
Banca Prossima – Milan Branch, Piazza Paolo Ferrari 10, 20121 Milan
Address SHE LIVES: Piazza della Libertà 20, 00192 – Roma