6-10 August 2019
BUDAPEST – Zeneház (House of Music) seat of Concerto Budapest Orchestra,
Páva utca 10, 1094 – Budapest
Masterclass in Composition (Professors: Sidney Corbett, Alessio Elia)
Period: 6-10 August 2019
Place: Zeneház (House of Music) seat of Concerto Budapest Orchestra.
Address: Páva utca 10, 1094 – Budapest
Ensemble in Residence: piano, clarinet and string quartet (members of The National Hungarian Radio Orchestra, Hungarian Opera House and Concerto Armonico). Ensemble conducted by Andreas Luca Beraldo
Final Concert: 10 August – House of Music. Budapest
Professors: Sidney Corbett, Alessio Elia
Sidney Corbett / Alessio Elia
– On writing for ensemble, with analytic examples from Ligeti, Lachenmann, Corbett, Romitelli, Scelsi, Elia, Grisey.
– Polysystemism, a simultaneous employment of different tuning systems. A compositional approach to microtonality related to the physical dimension of sound.
(Seminar based on lectures held at Cité de la Musique, The Hungarian Academy of Arts and Chigiana Academy)
Training in compositional speculation
„Composers, it seems to me, need to be able to speculate, that is, based upon observation of musical phenomena, to extrapolate and apply personal interpretations to what we observe in order to mold them to our needs. In my seminars I wish to focus on two central topics:
1. “morphology and formal prototypes“, that is, observations of formal constructions in works or movements of works by historical and contemporary composers and drawing conclusions from them about their formal functions.
2. „intervals, scales and harmonies“: the scale is a concept which in the eyes of many seems a tired old horse. I would like to cast light on certain relationships between chords and scales, drawing upon observations by a master of pitch-(ie scale) centered improvisation, which might help us see these old concepts in a fresh light.
The pieces of the students are analyzed and discussed by Corbett and Elia from the point of view of compositional techniques and aesthetics. The conductor and editor Andreas Luca Beraldo will provide instead a conductorial and editorial approach.
Active students are entitled to attend the courses, and invited to discuss their own works with professors during individual meetings. They can also take part to the final concert with a piece written for the ensemble in residence.
Passive participants are entitled to attend the courses and the discussions of active students about their works, but they cannot discuss their own works with the professors.
Passive participants are invited to attend the rehearsals and the final concert of active students, but they cannot propose their own works.
The course is held in English.
Individual meetings can be done in the following languages:
Sidney Corbett: English, German, Spanish
Alessio Elia: English, Italian, German, Hungarian
PERFORMANCE OF THE COMPOSITION COURSE STUDENTS’ PIECES
The course provides the performance of the students pieces during the final concert (10 August – h. 19:30, House of Music).
Composers who wish to apply as active partecipants are invited to write a piece for the ensemble in residence (with conductor):
Piano, clarinet and string quartet
The piece can be written for any combination of the instruments present in the ensemble, from solo instrument to the whole group and must not be longer than 7 minutes.
Scores and parts, preferably written with a music notation software (Finale, Sibelius, etc.), must be sent as a pdf file no later than 12 June 2019, to the following e-mail address:
The best pieces will be address to major musical instutions for possible concerts and have the possibility to be published by Edition Impronta Mannheim.
To apply send via e-mail (email@example.com) the following documents:
Deadline: 12 June 2019
- Curriculum Vitae
- receipt of payment of preselection process 100 € (non refundable)
- the piece written for the ensemble in residence (any combination of the instruments present in the ensemble, from solo instrument to the whole group, and no longer than 7 minutes). Within one week of submission the applicant will be notified about participation either as an active or passive student. Subsequently it will be necessary to pay the remaining registration fee in accordance with the result of the application process (if selected as active partecipant it should be corresponded the remaining 460 €; if selected as passive partecipant it should be corresponded the remaining 200 €).
Active Participant connected with Impronta Ensemble Composition Competition
Deadline: 15 May 2019
This year She Lives has the pleasure to have established a connection with Impronta Ensemble Composition Competition.
Applicants who will apply within 15 May 2019 has the right to apply to Impronta Ensemble Composition Competition without paying the competition fee for the first work sent (visit also the Impronta Ensemble website).
The list of instrument for the Impronta Ensemble Competition is the same of the She Lives Master Class (clarinet, piano and string quartet) and the maximum duration of the piece is extended to a maximum of 10 minutes (there is no minimum duration).
Prizes include monetary prizes, publication of the works by Impronta Edition, performances and scholarships for the She Lives Master Class 2019.
I: 1.000 EUR + publication of the piece by Impronta-Edition + performance
II: 500 EUR + publication of the piece by Impronta-Edition + performance
- 2 Scholarships of 200 EUR each to take part to this SHE LIVES Master Class 2019 in Composition in Budapest as active student
- Antonio Perilli Prize: 200 EUR + publication of the piece by Impronta-Edition + performance
- Edition Prize: Publication of the piece by Impronta-Edition + performance
Applicant who decide to apply to the Master Class with this formula must clearly declare it in the email. In this case the piece written for the Master Class will be addressed anonymously by our organization to the Jury Board of the Impronta Competition.
The Competition gives to the applicant the possibility to send a maximum of 5 works. Applicant to the She Lives Master Class will not pay the Impronta Ensemble Competition fee for the first piece sent. Additional pieces (up to a maximum of 5 including the piece sent for the Master Class) can be sent by corresponding a fee of 25 € each. The amount for the additional pieces must be sent to She Lives bank account (see it at the bottom of the page).
The works sent may have already been performed but not previously published.
In order to apply with this formula, send to She Lives e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org):
1) Score(s) in PDF format. Submitted pieces must be anonymous, only the title of the piece should appear on the score. Handwritten scores will be also accepted, but they should be perfectly readable.
2) Short biography of the composer
3) Commentary of the submitted works (NOT compulsory)
4) MP3 of performance recording, if any (NOT compulsory)
5) Receipt or screenshot of entry fee payment for additional pieces (if any)
6) Registration form filled in and signed (download it here)
7) Receipt of payment of preselection process for the She Lives Master Class, 100 € (non refundable)
Winning composers must provide the parts within 1 July 2019.
The winning works will be announced latest by 31st May 2019. The decision of the jury is final. The results will be announced on our website and across our social media platforms as well as in private emails.
The preselection process for the She Lives Master Class will be announce after the announcement of the winners of the Impronta Ensemble Composition Competition and no later then 31 May 2019.
Apply directly as Passive participant
Deadline: 12 June 2019
- a copy of identity card or passport
- receipt of payment of the registration fee (300 €)
Active Students: 560 €
Listeners: 300 €
The fees should be sent to the following Bank Account
Associazione SHE LIVES
BIC/SWIFT (for international transfer): BCITITMX
Banca Prossima – Filiale di Milano, Piazza Paolo Ferrari 10, 20121 Milano
SHE LIVES Address: Piazza della Libertà 20, 00192 – Roma (Italy).
Deadline for enrollment and delivery of the pieces and parts
12 June 2019 (active partecipant)
15 May 2019 (active partecipant via Impronta Ensemble Composition Competition)
12 June 2019 (passive partecipant)
FOR INFO: email@example.com